Connecting 98% of Canadians To High-Speed Internet By 2026

Utility pole against blue sky. The government promises to connect Canadians to high-speed Internet.

Written by: Jay H.

Months after the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, Canadians rely on the Internet for work, school, and communication. However, many communities still don’t have access to the proper infrastructure needed for this new digital reality. So, the Government of Canada is working to connect all Canadians to high-speed Internet.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced an investment of $1.75 billion for the Universal Broadband fund. This aims to connect 98 percent of Canadians to fast Internet by 2026 and the remaining 2 percent by 2030.

This announcement is the biggest one-time federal investment in broadband.

“Canadians need reliable access to high-speed Internet as we work, learn, and communicate with our family and friends from home. With today’s announcement, we are continuing to bring faster Internet access to every part of our country, helping businesses grow, creating new jobs, and building a better Canada for everyone,” said Justin Trudeau in a press release.

Improving Connectivity for Remote Regions

The Government of Canada is looking to get Indigenous, rural, remote, and northern communities connected. So, the Prime Minister announced an agreement worth $500 million with satellite company Telesat to improve these communities’ connectivity through low-orbiting satellites.

“We know that access to high-speed Internet is a top priority for rural and remote Canadians, and we are leveraging the latest technologies to ensure that all Canadians have access. High-speed Internet is more than just a convenience – it means opportunity. It enables physicians to see patients from a distance. It also allows businesses to reach customers worldwide and allows students in one classroom to connect with their peers in other parts of the country. The agreement with Telesat will help unlock economic and social opportunities in Canada’s most rural and remote communities,” said The Hon. Navdeep Bains, Minister of Innovation, Science, and Industry.

The Government also aims to provide all Canadians with at least 50 megabits per second download speeds and 10 megabits per second upload speeds, no matter where they are in the country.

Are you experiencing slow Internet yourself? If so, learn how to improve your Wi-Fi and gain better connectivity.

Comments are closed.